Sunday 29 May 2016

Broadwater and Ashdown Forest

Before my last blog I had been to Broadwater Warren. Not tons of birds but the Woodlarks are showing so well at the moment, whether perched and singing or feeding on the path fairly close. Stonechats look like they have established a nest, Spotted Flycatcher, Wren, Song Thrush and Blackbird also look like breeding there. Going to check later in the month to see if the Lesser spotted Woodpecker has gone back to the same tree or at least the same area. Blackcap, Willow and Garden Warbler all singing along with everything else it seems makes a beautiful sound that is much appreciated from the usual noise around my garden.
There were a lot of Azure blue damselflies and Large red as well as a pair of Broad-bodied Chasers, the make looking stunning. Couldn't see to get a good shot as they would settle in a awkward spot to see (however see later in this blog for some I did get).
Brimstone, Peacock and Green-veined White were the 3 butterflies I noted. I kept seeing what I thought was a moth in various places but never settling until finally I managed to get a half shot (your see what I mean) of a Speckled Yellow.
Black cock beetle was found scurrying across the path.

A good little visit, will have to come along soon in the evening to get Nightjar and Woodcock. Below are some of the photos I took.


Large red damselfly


One of the 3 Woodlarks on path.


Speckled Yellow (Pseudopanthera macularia) now you see why it is a half shot.


Pterostichus madidus 


The next day I thought I would check out Ashdown Forest and look for specifically Redstart and any dragonflies in the pools there.
Nearly the first bird I saw was about 20 Crossbill, some gorgeous red males amoung them. Didn't quite get a shot of them (only the branch they WERE on). At least one pair of Redstarts along with Great spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Tree Pipit, Whitethroat and 2 Spotted Flycatchers. Woodlark nearly stole the show though as 1 bird sat on a dead tree for about 5 minutes with no concerns about the 2 photographers getting no doubt great shots.


my shot of the mentioned Woodlark

Azure damselfly and Broad-bodied chaser were the main dragonflies seen. There will be more later in the year because this is a excellent site for them. There was another dragonfly there but it never landed and I have as yet no clue what it was. Yellow on head (dragonfly shape not damsel) and red on a bulging tail. Don't know how else to describe it but will be looking into it as the view of it is in my head now. I managed to take one of the best dragonfly shots I have taken so far.


Another Azure above
male Broad-bodied Chaser below


One moth was seen which I am looking up now.
Okay, think it is a Brown silver-line (Petrophora chlorosata)


A good couple of hours that I plan to repeat very soon.

Next up a quick visit to Hayesden Country Park, my third day in a row for going out. I have a feeling that next week as it is half term might not have so many visits, Am definitely keeping on eye on bird reports though as there have been a couple of birds in Kent that I would have gone for had I been available, watch this space who knows what might happen!




No comments:

Post a Comment