Friday 19 June 2015

Dragonflies, Chasers, Darters, Bees and Adders

Quite a long visit today, found another area of the reserve I hadn't been to. Was just about to take a photo of a Speckled Wood when it flew and didn't stop until it was out of  sight. Did get a Brimstone photo. Saw another Demoiselle that looked different to the male I saw before, think this is a Imm male though. Had Broad-bodied Chaser again, Four-spotted Chaser (Libellula quadrimaculata) and Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum), also managed to photograph Comon Blue Damselfly and Large Red Damselfly this time. Have realized that anything small I just can't seem to focus on it unless I zoom in. 


Both taken today I think the one below is adult male and the one 
above an Imm. male I think.




Common Blue and Large Red Damselfly




Also saw what I think looks like a Plasterer Bee but really not sure. One of the pictures I have looks like it has some white/light on the body which is hidden by the wings in the picture, so I am thinking Hylaeus hyalinatus!  Is it even a bee? I will look it up more but it will just have to be unidentified. I do like to put a name to things but now realize that insects are not always the easiest things to id. Had 2 adders, one disappeared pretty fast the other was slower to move, I am not happy though that the shot I got was blurred, not happy at all it could have been amazing. The warden and a few others were checking on Dormouse population so will be interesting to find out the results. Bird wise, usual suspects.Gorgeous Tree Pipits, Yellowhammers and Grey Wagtail, also had a wren with nest material going into its nest, next visit will be looking for Spotted Flycatcher and Turtle Dove (as 1 heard today apparently). 






What I think might be a Plasterer Bee? but what do I know.


Now you can see why I am not happy with this shot.



An enjoyable morning and really enjoy just being out and seeing things even if I have no clue what they are.






No comments:

Post a Comment