Sunday 30 August 2015

Finally I've seen one

What with the boys on summer holiday, my wife working, no car for a week. It has been a slow couple of weeks. I did get a few brief visit to the local park and a couple of brief visits to Broadwater Warren. Will do a catch up on that later in the week.
Today however it was a day at Dungeness. I thought that my father-in-law and I were meeting up with the Kent Ornithologists Society (KOS) however I found out later that the day had been changed to next Sunday. Lesson learned there to check it out regularly for updates. But I am so glad we did go down though. Starting at the ARC, Black Terns and White-winged Black Tern (Juv) were spotted fairly easily. There was a flock of about 80 Golden Plovers with a couple of Ruff among them. A couple of Spotted Flycatcher were doing just that near the water tower. Stopped at the coast briefly and got some good views of Gannet and Sandwich Tern. Had lunch at the reserve and had Common Sandpiper and Kingfisher close in while in the centre, Honey Buzzard drifted over as exiting. 3 had not long flown over and there had been a few sightings already today. As we were leaving the reserve a Ospery was being mobbed by 2 crows,
Heading back to the ARC added 2 Wood Sandpipers and excellent Bittern that put on a showfor us before flying into the reeds.


along way from my camera but excellent through the scope.

As we were walking back to the car I noticed something different with a Swallow. I followed it and knew it was a Red-rumped. Me being me had to convince myself that it was, but this was a first for me, a longtime in coming as well. Always had been told that I would know when I saw one and well it actually stood out once I had picked it out. A Red-rump had been seen that morning at the other end of the ARC from where we had been. Finally, hope that won't be another 26 year wait! 
Went to the coast again for a while and got Kittiwake and a very dark Skua leisurely flying past. With Red-crested Pochard, Yellow Wagtail also added it was a decent bird day with 75 species.

Also added to my Dragonfly list. Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta) was zooming around, but was curious enough that good good views but it didn't settle. See pics below of some others I saw, some which I haven't been able to id yet. Did wait for 15 minutes for one to settle as I had no clue what it was. It didn't land and I still am unable to id it.
A good day overall and if you know what the dragonflies are please get in touch.
Is one female Red-veined!







this one i think is Common darter


one below is Common blue.




No comments:

Post a Comment