Monday 20 July 2015

Sevenoaks Wildfowl Reserve

What a crazy weekend, crazy good that is. So much has been going on that I haven't updated on here for a few days. Will just do one event at a time. So, on Thursday 16th I paid a visit to Sevenoaks WR hoping for any birds, butterflies, moths, dragonflies or anything else that would make me look at it.

Bird wise it is not the best month. Did get a lovely Kingfisher which posed for me, photo distant but through the telescope absolutely picture perfect. A few young birds, Blackbird, Robin, G.C.Grebe, Blue Tit and Great Tit. There was Sedge Warbler and Blackcap still singing away. The now normal Egyptian Geese were there but didn't see any young this time.




There were plenty of Common Blue Damselflies, and I finally got a decent picture of this species. There were a few Large Red but apart from that no more species. However, I did come across a different looking Damselfly. Really awkward to get photos but I did and thought I would properly look at when at home. When I did get home I looked at Segment 2 and thought it looked like a Southern, which are uncommon. Convinced I had a Southern I contacted Kent Wildlife Trust (there reserve) and told to send through the photos. I was a bit disappointed quite quickly as I got a reply saying that it was actually a blue form of the female Common Blue Damselfly. Surely that would just look like a male I thought. Been told that I should look at the thorax in this case, the Southern has a extra black stripe  which this doesn't. It is odd the fact that when I have looked it up there is mention of a blue form female but no photos of it. Will keep looking as it did look different and seemed smaller than others.


Common Blue with the proper marking on S2


2 more Common Blue



Unfortunately the wing is a bit in the way but the mark on S2 looks so right for Southern but
no extra stripe on thorax. I want it to be Southern but probably is the blue form female
because not everything matches up.




As yet unidentified.


The other things that I saw a few of were butterflies, Comma, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Holly Blue and Large White. My first blue for the year, but still didn't open it's wings for me.


Holly Blue


Comma


Gatekeeper


A very nice reserve, they also have a large Bee home that was the world's largest in 2010. Loads and loads of Bees around it and going into it but am realising my camera is good for birds but not always insects. They have had and got some rare species apparently but will sort a camera out and then go back there another time.

So next blog will be my Moth evening in East Sussex. Very enjoyable, got some photos.
Then after that my Introduction to Bees day and that features 3 of the UK's rarest Bees.



No comments:

Post a Comment