Monday 11 January 2016

New Year and things to be planned

The start of a New Year and for me the start of a new year list. I do keep a life list, but don't add much to it now a days. The year list is the one I enjoy the most, I always have a target but it is also keeping me up with my identification of even the commoner species.

The first few days of the year were not the best weather wise, did go to Broadwater Warren though on the 1st. Not many species but at least 12 Herring Gull flying over, which is a good number. A dog put up a small family of Woodlark briefly, they stick very close too the ground at this time of year. Also 2 Stonechat were popping up in various places on the heath.

The 7th saw a visit to Bough Beech reservoir. I have not seen Brambling for ages now and on this visit I meet a local who told me to walk up the road to a particular place. It worked well as there were 2 among a large flock of Chaffinch, horrible weather but decent views. Got a few other places I can try as well now. Male Pintail was a good patch bird, along with the usual Mandarin, Marsh Tit and Nuthatch it was a pretty decent visit.


Pheasant hanging around the feeders waiting for 
the stray food falling down.


The 8th saw a trip to Elmley and the Harty Ferry road. Male and Female Merlin along with White-fronted Goose on the reserve. Down the Harty ferry road at the raptor point a stunning Male Hen Harrier was seen twice, what a lovely bird. Big flock of Corn Bunting which I tried to photograph but it was nearly dusk at that point. Another Brambling briefly showed and loads of Red-legged Partridge were in the fields.

Always associate Lapwing with Elmley.


One of the flocks of Partridge.


A Kestrel that posed only a few feet away.



So 66 for the year so far, what I find interesting is when I see certain 
species in the year. Hoping maybe tomorrow to catch up with Great
grey Shrike but shall see.

Am also possibly going to Portugal in March so looking forward to that also.



No comments:

Post a Comment