Wednesday 27 January 2016

Visit to Bough Beech

Before I get to the Bough Beech visit. I heard Tawny Owl while waiting to pick up my son from cubs.
The weather has been such a nightmare but on Monday (25th) I went out to Bough Beech, the water is still high but still managed to get 45 species. It is quite nice at the moment as I still have to see regular species for my year list. Jay, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Long-tailed Tit, were added. Walked up to the area where the Brambling were last time, no luck this time. However there was Yellowhammer, Mealy and Lesser Redpoll there, with Sparrowhawk drifting over on my way back. The usual suspects were on the feeder including Coal Tit, Marsh Tit and G.S.Woodpecker. A large flock of Gulls on the reservoir, one with what looked like a black patch around the eye, will have to look this one up. Possible Caspian Gull as well, am not amazing with Gulls but can usually work them out.


Plenty of Fieldfare in the orchid feeding on the fallen fruit.


Any ideas? Wasp or Bee? I didn't think they look like wasps. Thought
they look like Honey Bees, however not sure of the location for that.


Will get the new book that has come out to try and help with id.






3 birds were hankering down out of the weather.


So it's 94 for the year, not a massive start but I don't need to see everything straight away. It is interesting to see what species I have already seen this year that I didn't last year.

Have a new old camera which I will be trying out over the next few days, maybe when it has stopped raining. Maybe take it to the local park to see how it is getting on down there. Am now starting to get excited for my visit to Portugal at the beginning of March. Still need some information but it's getting closer.



No comments:

Post a Comment