Saturday 17 October 2015

Dungeness visit. Was it a S.T.T?

Was going to go to Norfolk for potentially 2 new birds and 4-5 rare year ticks. Instead did a fairy quick trip to Dungeness. About 4 and a half hours there. On the way I checked out Scotney GP and had a Curlew as well as a flock of Barnacle Geese with 2 Snow Geese amongst them, not sure about these birds as they always seem to be around in winter months. I then moved onto the ARC, hoping for some waders but the water level was too high. Did see one of my favourite ducks though, Pintail. My 1st Fieldfares for this winter as well as Chiffchaff and lovely Marsh Harriers over.
Next went to the RSPB reserve. There were 2 Black Redstarts on top and around the main centre building and toilets. That was my first year tick for the day, my next one was Ring Ouzel, flying across the access track when leaving the reserve. Added the always appreciated Tree Sparrow by the entrance at Boulderwell farm.
Before I got back to the car a report came through of a Short-toed Treecreeper on the west side of the trapping area, heard only. So thought I would check it out, thought there might be some other birds around as well. Walking along on the west side a bird flew across the path and into a low tree, it was a bit ahead of me but it looked like a Treecreeper and it did a small call when it got into the tree. I saw it move but very very briefly, and that was it didn't see it again. Was it a Short-toed, I had seen one at Dungeness years ago and knew that identifying by sight was nigh on impossible. I had to get home but very thankful that I have seen one before otherwise that would be very frustrating.


the tree it flew into


the path i choose


Trying to get photos of all the birds I have seen including the 
common ones.




 

area for Great crested Newts - looking really good now compared
to when they first set it up.



59 species for the day, 2 year ticks and a good little visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment