Friday 29 April 2016

Wood Warbler today

So today I went to Sevenoaks Wildfowl Reserve. There had been a Wood Warbler there for a couple of days, but also wanted to see what else was about. Going down a path that only briefly goes into the reserve I found the spot and within 5 mins had had excellent views of the Wood Warbler and also seen Blackcap for the year.. They are such lovely birds, and it was also calling quite regularly. I had actually started to doubt if it had been one at Broadwater last year, this however confirmed that it had been.
From the main Tyler hide, LRP, Greenshank, Common Sandpiper and Sand Martin all added to the year list. A walk round to the other side of the lake to what I call the white ibis field didn't come up with a sighting of Garganey that were there. It did get very close views of Goldcrest and also Jay. On the way home I thought a quick check in Otford for the Western Rufous Turtle Dove, this bird has been there a while but only seen in a back garden every so often. It was identified by a photo and is only a 10 minute trip from Sevenoaks WR. Literally drive round a square of roads hoping that the bird is sitting on a roof or anywhere that it can be seen. No luck of course.

A good few hours of birding. These  are photos I did get.

 
Geese have been busy, one area by the lake had to be shut
off as a Canada Goose is sitting on a nest right next to the path.


 
Bluebells above


 
Saw Mistle and Song Thrush today.

 
Went to Broadwater a couple of days ago and this time it seemed to be Robin everywhere. Grey Wagtail was back on the island and still no dragonflies. Both Willow Warbler and Tree Pipits singing away.
 
 
 
Going back a couple of weeks no, I did visit Dungeness with the family. While the boys got soaked from the sea I managed to pick up on 1 Great Skua, 6 Red-throated Diver, 1 Black-throated Diver and Shag of note going past. Black-necked Grebe showed at ARC pit. While there someone mentioned Water Pipits down the denge marsh road. A quick stop and a 10 minute walk got me 2 birds in the Hayfields area. 1 bird sitting on the fence while the other was foraging underneath.
 
And that is now up to date. Not sure where next, think I am going to concentrate on some dragonflies this year. Have found a web site that shows me what can be seen around my area and there are a few I haven't seen, some will really have to get my id skills up for but that is part of the fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment